[time-nuts] HP Z3801A Internal Power Supply issues

Artek Manuals Manuals at ArtekManuals.com
Sun Jan 31 02:21:37 UTC 2016

My Z3801A began to die over the last few days. It would work for an hour
or two then produce a receiver error and communications problems. Turn
it off, let it sit awhile, back on and it would start the survey and
then begin to recover. Tonight it finally went dead with high current on
the main input . The feed supply  has a 2amp current limit so I have not
blown the two 3amp fuses

I have a schematic of the supply reverse engineered by Stefan Hegnauere
a few years ago (thank you very much) and a limited theory of operation
description so I am not totally dead from a troubleshooting point of
view although if one of the DC-DC converters is dead then I will likely
have to scrap the supply

Questions
1) Any prior experience as where to look first I checked the
electrolytics and at first glance they seem fine, no loss of magic smoke
or any parts obviously hot or bulging. ESR 's look good on those
2) Will this supply function unloaded while I troubleshoot it on the
bench out of the unit?
3) Anyone tried independent powering the Z3801? looks like two 5V
supplies and +/- 15V..not hard to to do
4) Anyone with a good supply from a parts unit want to part with same?

Dave
NR1DX
ArtekManuals.com

--