[time-nuts] sine to square wave circuits - performance data?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Oct 4 00:33:19 UTC 2017

Moin,

On 10/04/2017 12:38 AM, Attila Kinali wrote:
> Moin,
>
> The last couple of days, I have been looking into sine to square
> wave converters. There are a few proposed circuits[1-4] and there
> is of course Collins' paper [5]. But I am unable to find actual
> performance data of the different circuits. Does someone have
> such data and would share it with me/us?

I modified my TAPR TADD-2 to let one output driver be driven from the
clock input circuit. Driving it from the 5 MHz sine out of a OSA 8600
BVA gave me 2 ps of jitter on the DTS-2070C, which is about as low as it
ever goes, so more or less at it's noisefloor. Not to shabby.

Bruce will probably be able to measure it up before me, as I'm in
Washington DC right now on travels, but I should actually do that
exercise as I get home.

As you have 5 MHz, there isn't very deep Collins squaring needed.

Cheers,
Magnus