[time-nuts] Spice simulation of PSRR and phase noise

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Fri Oct 27 18:25:08 UTC 2017

Hi Rafael

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 17:20:52 +0200
Rafael Gajanec <rgajanec at vercet.com> wrote:

> you haven't specified what sort of circuits would you like to simulate,

Simplified, they are differential amplifiers driven into saturation.
A bit more detailed, I am looking at ring oscillator stages and sine-to-square
conversion circuits and their behaviour regarding various key factors
(note: I am not sure what the key factors are, yet)

> but maybe the answer is Harmonic Balance.

Hmm.. I didn't know about Harmonic Balance. I have some reading up to do.
Thanks!

> HSPICE from Synopsis and ADS from Keysight (which I use) also have the
> HB engine.

I am mostly using ngpsice, because it's very easy to script (I have a bunch
of perl scripts that feed simulations into a Grid Engine cluster, extract
data and analyzse it). Is there any big advantage of the commercial spice
engines that would make them worth considering? And would the license alow
to run hundreds of instances in parallel?
(Yes, I am doing crazy things :-)

			Attila Kinali
use without that foundation.