[time-nuts] Brooks Shera's GPS standard or HP Z3801A??

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Mon Apr 25 16:43:46 EDT 2005

Tom Van Baak wrote:
> This issue comes up a lot. If weren't for the glut of
> surplus Z3801A I'm sure the situation would be very
> different.

Agreed.

> Brooks Shera did a fine job with his project
> and reached a wide audience with its QST publication.

I was always under the impression it was published in QEX, the ARRL's
more technical journal, but I see you are right, it was QST. One ham
once said to me a typical QST article was "How to build a 12V 1A power
supply using a 7812 voltage regulator". Clearly this was a bit different.

I would agree with you the article is excellent.
I don't get QST now, as I found it too childish, but that article, like
many that appeared years ago, was very good.

It's a shame ham radio has been spoilt with 99% of people just spending
money and not understanding anything.

> If your goal is a turn-key 10 MHz frequency standard
> with short-term stability under 1e-11 then a Z3801A
> is a good solution.

> If your goal is to build something yourself, to use parts
> you have already, to learn as you go, and achieve
> similar performance then use the Brooks Shera design.

Working out what my goal is not an easy task.

It started with the desire to stabilise an 18th century pendulum clock
with a crystal!! I realised I needed a decent crystal, and some way to
measure its frequency, and it sort of escalated from there.

The route I take might depend on the outcome of this eBay transaction of
mine for the 18011A.

> If you're a time-nut you'll end up with both anyway so
> that you can compare them; the only question is which
> to get first. ;-)
>
> /tvb

Perhaps.

BTW, there is a lady at work who is quite into clocks. I sent her an
email today with your wristwatch, but she replied she did not think it
would be too popular.

Dr. David Kirkby.