[time-nuts] LPRO-101 with Brooks Shera's GPS locking circuit

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Thu Dec 14 21:08:51 EST 2006

From: bg at lysator.liu.se
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] LPRO-101 with Brooks Shera's GPS locking circuit
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 00:21:25 +0100 (CET)

> On Thu, December 14, 2006 23:07, Dr Bruce Griffiths said:
>
> > Thus devising inexpensive phase detectors/TICs with subnanosecond
> > performance allows one to take advantage of improvements in GPS timing
> > receiver performance when they occur.
> >
> > The possibility of utilising GPS carrier phase tracking techniques in a
> > timing receiver offers a potential timing resolution and jitter in the
> > picosecond range which would allow enhanced  GPSDO performance.
> > Alternatively one could then achieve much better performance with less
> > expensive oscillators. Currently dual frequency GPS geodetic receivers
> > achieve subnanosecond resolution and stability when the data is
> > processed, albeit not in real time.
> >
> > Bruce
>
> I have had an idea for some time, even have the hardware pieces since a
> year or more. Wish there were more time to spend on realizing projects...
> :-( Its not very original, but I have not seen it explored in any GPSDOs.
> Why not do the phase detection/frequency measurement inside the GPS
> receiver?
>
> Find a GPS that can be driven by your VCOCXO. (Zarlink's GP4020 accept
> 10MHz. CMCs Allstar and Superstar receivers are still available.) Control
> the oscillator softly enough that the tracking loops will not unlock.
>
> PLL augmented code measurement noise is in the low dm region for a good
> receiver design. Using a known surveyed position this would give one sub
> ns measurement for each satellite tracked. And then there is the phase
> measurements that should be usable in some sense. Other information that
> is available for a static receiver with internet connection is the
> ultra-rapid ephemeris and clock-parameters that are available for
> surveying use. These are much better than the broadcasted ephemeris. It
> appears as if this concept would open performance enhancement
> opportunities that are not used by the current OEM GPS timing receivers.

The Internet aspect have not been fully adapted, but augmentation as such
isn't new. GPSes for mobiles could be augmented with information sent from the
BSC and can thus be adapted to the area for the BSC.

If you do your own processing of carrier and code information, which some
receiver allow, you can naturally shake out a different processing from it.

> This structure would not need to generate the 1PPS from the GPS, and there
> is no need for an external phase/TIC. It does instead ad an adaptable
> amount of software complexity to solve the GPS time error outside the GPS.

There are many uses for a good PPS even if it is not to be used for the GPSDO
as such.

> What is the catch, that leads every(?) GPSDO designer along a different path?

The many choices available? :-)
The many ways to make a design cheaper?

Cheers,
Magnus