[time-nuts] Re Certified Time Nut Certificate

Tim Shoppa shoppa at trailing-edge.com
Sun Nov 5 11:45:54 EST 2006

Magnus Danielson <cfmd at bredband.net> wrote:
> No, my car doesn't have GPS clock or Atomic clock, it just have Fords standard
> quartz clock, uncalibrated and all.

Considering the environment, automotive clocks are remarkably good.
(I'm talking about the quartz ones here, although I certainly
have a lot of respect for the motor-wound spring ones that were
common up through the 1970's and maybe early 80's).

The cars I deal with, twice a year we add or subtract an hour for
daylight savings time, but other than that the only time I ever
set the minutes is when a new car battery and/or alternator
goes in, which is like every 5 or 7 years.

That is impressively good for a quartz crystal exposed to -40 to
150F temperatures. Are they really TCXO's or just really solidly
specced and built?

Tim.