[time-nuts] Motorola Oncore GPS Interface Board

Jason Rabel jason at extremeoverclocking.com
Fri Nov 24 23:01:51 EST 2006

Hi Bob,

Can you give some more specifics? Do you have a PDF schematic? What would
the cost be?

My main thing for the design I'm looking for is:

1. The same size as the UT board so they can be connected together (like the
TAPR model)
2. Multiple buffered PPS outputs (TTL & RS232 levels) and possibly multiple
RS232 data outputs.

How do you have the PPS LED connected? Is it just tied to the line with a
resistor, or did you use a NPN transistor to buffer it?

Also, I realize that a plain old 5V regulator (like a LM7805) is cheap (less
than .50 cents), have you considered using a more efficient switching
regulator like a LM2574, which costs probably a couple bucks. The advantage
is no heatsink, which could cause problems when trying to build a board to
fit the same footprint as the GPS (not to mention the heat generated).

If we can come to some common design / layout that would suit everyone, I
know I would be in for at least 3 boards.

Jason

> I have built 3 prototype boards for interfacing to a Motorola GT/UT GPS
and I am
> about ready to order production boards. I was wondering how many users are
> looking for something like this, TAPR and another source have discontinued
their products.

> Presently the design has a linear voltage regulator for the 5 volts, a
MAX232