[time-nuts] OT: Audiophoolery

Neon John jgd at johngsbbq.com
Thu Apr 19 21:50:01 EDT 2007

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:21:28 -0700, "Bruce Lane"
<kyrrin at bluefeathertech.com> wrote:

>	http://www.monstercable.com/productDisplay.asp?pin=195
>
>	I invite all to have a good chuckle over this one. ;-)

That's absurd but if you want to delve into the tin-foil hat areas,
google for "speaker cable ager."  I just can't bring myself to do so.

In short, some of the tin-foil hat types claim that a speaker cable
has to be aged with pink noise (the spectrum of which is vigorously
debated) before connecting to the system.  A few companies sell aging
boxes and several others offer the 'service'.  There also seems to be
some debate on whether the pink noise has to actually pass a current
through the cable or if its just being there is enough to do the
aging.

At that same altitude of looniness - waaaaaay out there - is the $50K
turntable where the works float on a pool of mercury contained in a
hollowed out lake on the top of about 2 tons of solid marble block.  I
used to have the URL to this thing but I can't seem to find it.

Oh, and while we're at it, there's a company manufacturing (for about
$80 each) beeswax paper capacitors like we grew to know and hate in
old tube-type stuff.  When I do a period-correct restoration of an old
radio I hollow out these damnable caps and put something modern
inside.  The loonies claim these old paper caps are more "colorful"
even if it's only used as a screen bypass cap.

John
---
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
All great things are simple and many can be expressed in single words:
Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope.  -Churchill