[time-nuts] OT: Audiophoolery

Dr Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Apr 19 22:12:40 EDT 2007

Neon John wrote:
> At that same altitude of looniness - waaaaaay out there - is the $50K
> turntable where the works float on a pool of mercury contained in a
> hollowed out lake on the top of about 2 tons of solid marble block.  I
> used to have the URL to this thing but I can't seem to find it.

John

Whoever devised that had probably breathed too much mercury vapour.
Mercury pools are exquisitely sensitive to seismic and traffic vibrations.
The usual way around this is to use a thin layer of mercury possibly with an oil film on top.
When used in a parabolic dish and spun up using airbearing drive a thin mercury film makes a high quality transit telescope.

Bruce