[time-nuts] Watches

Tim Shoppa shoppa at trailing-edge.com
Sat Dec 1 11:47:34 EST 2007

"Didier Juges" <didier at cox.net> wrote:
> I am not sure if my son's watch is crystal controlled or some other system,
> I know some Bulovas used to use a mechanical tuning fork resonator
> (Accutron?) His watch is only 2 or 3 years old.

The original Accutron was indeed a mechanical tuning fork (hold it
up to your ear and hear a high-pitched hum) and while they still use
that trademark, they are now "just" quartz crystals.

I'm guessing the mechanical tuning fork model went away in the 70's for
most purposes. Some lab instruments used Accutron mechanisms for
timekeeping.

The mechanical tuning fork ones are quite collectible, and there's
no way in hell you'd ever get one repaired for $600!

Tim.