[time-nuts] Watches

Daun Yeagley daun at yeagley.net
Sat Dec 1 18:31:52 EST 2007

Hi Tim

Actually, the Accutrons aren't that expensive to repair.  Typical costs are
around $100, to maybe $200 if it is in bad shape.
I still have the Accutron Spaceview (the one where you can see the movement)
that my wife bought me on our first Christmas in 1967. I had it put back in
"like new" shape a year or so ago, and it cost $100.  I've also bought a couple
of "junkers" on Ebay for less than $50, and got them going myself.  They are
actually quite simple, with few moving parts.
Indeed, the name "Accutron" has really been cheapened IMHO by Bulova's marketing
of rather cheap quartz watches that they brand as Accutron.  The true Accutrons
(with the tuning forks) ceased manufacture around 1977.  The sad thing is that
they destroyed all the tooling used to make them.

Daun