[time-nuts] HP 8566B repair

Jeff Mock jeff at mock.com
Thu Dec 6 22:38:13 EST 2007

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice about 8566B repair?

I've had an 8566B for 7-8 years, it's been a faithful tool, never had a
problem with it.  It's reasonably clean unit that's never seen a tough
life.  It sits in the storeroom 90% of the time and is on my bench maybe
10% of the time.

So, this week, after a 4 month hiatus, I've been using it on the bench
and it starting producing a "YTO UNLOCK" message, the trace seems to
basically work properly but is clearly unlocked and the trace will
randomly slide to the left or right.  The Yttrium oscillator is clearly
unlocked.  I'm hopeful that the problem is in one the control loops
outside the oscillator module.

I read the repair guide that Agilent kindly keeps on their website, they
have some good instructions and narrow the problem to 3-4 modules, but
I've never opened up the instrument and am a little apprehensive about
making things worse.  My hunch is that the problem is an electrolytic
cap that has dried out over the years and has failed.

Any suggestions for either self repair or outside repair and
re-calibration is appreciated...

In full disclosure, I also have a 70908A based spectrum analyser that
that has much better specs, especially in microwave. It can completely
replace the 8566B, but I'm quite fond of the 8566B, I can operate it
blind folded, it's like an old friend and I would really like to fix it.

jeff