[time-nuts] HP 8566B repair

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Thu Dec 6 22:45:26 EST 2007

Never fear.  I have seen this a few times, in a couple of 8566Bs that I have
owned as well as in some others.  The YTO UNLOCK error always seems to come
down to an open electrolytic on the YTO driver or pretune DAC boards, under
the hinged plastic cover toward the rear of the RF section.

Check power supply voltages first, then check ESR of all of the axial-lead
electrolytics on all boards under that cover.  Then, if those areas are both
OK, go through the YTO calibration procedure in the manual until you either
successfully recalibrate the pretune/driver system, or reach a particular
step that you can't complete.

-- john, KE5FX