[time-nuts] Super stable BVA Quartz resonators... BVA??

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Dec 7 19:10:09 EST 2007

From: "Didier Juges" <didier at cox.net>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Super stable BVA Quartz resonators... BVA??
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 17:17:59 -0600

> I am not aware of other crystal oscillators with better performance, so
> either I am missing something (the more likely explanation) or there is
> something to it.
>
> Maybe the cut is simply a smoke screen and the outstanding performance is
> actually due to other process detail(s) not disclosed?

Let's recall that the BVA isn't the same as a cut, but rather an approach to
handle and mount the cut crystal. The BVA exists in both AT and SC cuts.

The analysis of Rick et.al. for the E1938 was pointing in another improvement.

Also, there are many ways to cut a crystal. :)

Smokescreen or not, Oscilloquartz clearly beleive in the BVA methodology and
they seems to have customers for them too.

Is the E1938 commercially available? If not, is there a followup?

Do we really need BVAs or similars for most new designs, considering the price,
size and availability of modern telecom rubidiums?

> Or maybe their oscillators are not that good, they just blow smoke really
> well.

Well, that would be stupid, since it is easy enought to measure and verify.

Cheers,
Magnus