[time-nuts] OT: Hewlett Packard paint codes

phil fortime at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 26 17:58:33 EST 2007

> This assumes you have a calibrated scanner and a calibrated printer.
> I don't have an IT8.7 target or its equivalent to calibrate the scanner.
>
> Perhaps I should start there.... heck I'll just try and match it by eye.
>
> Jack

Jack, even if you had the "exact" rgb value of the original color, and if
you intend to duplicate it on an inkjet printer you would have to tweak it
anyway. Printer colors differ by small amounts from brand to brand of ink
and even with same brand in different batches. Within Photoshop you can use
the "replace color" to tweak a given (single) color. Regardless of how you
do it, you have to sample printer output and match (tweak), to even to
calibrate the printer using calibration standards. This gets you very close
unless you have a super cheap scanner and printer and even with cheap
hardware this allows you to accomplish the intended results.
Phil