[time-nuts] Oncore VP problem

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Tue Jul 17 15:34:19 EDT 2007

Hi All

I'm trying to set up a supposedly NOS GPS development kit,  similar to the
old Motorola evalution kit, with an Oncore VP mounted on an  interface board
fitted with a 5 volt regulator and MAX232 interface  chip.

Running WinOncore12 under WinXP I can talk to the module ok, enter location
info and get it to return it's ID etc, but other than that I can't get it  to
do anything.

I've discovered from the VP command set that it goes into idle mode after a
self test and needs a "position fix mode" command to put it back into "fix"
mode.
Unfortunately, although the module acknowledges the command it reports  that
it's still in idle mode.

I'll dig out a DOS PC later, and try an earlier version of the software,  but
if anyone's come across this before I'd be grateful for any tips as to how I
can kick it back into life again.

regards

Nigel

GM8PZR