[time-nuts] Sawtooth correction with a slower TIC

Richard H McCorkle mccorkle at ptialaska.net
Fri Jul 20 20:12:52 EDT 2007

Gentlemen,
I would like to pose a theory question and see if my thinking is
faulty. My original design used a 50 MHz TIC clock and the TMR0
prescaler as the phase counter giving 20ns single sample resolution
in the prototype system. A synchronizer is used to insure only
whole clock pulses are counted. If a 1-second sawtooth correction
having a 1ns sample resolution is divided by 20 with the low bits
retained and added to the 20ns single sample phase count, does this
result in a resolution of 1ns per sample when the corrected samples
are averaged? Does a faster TIC clock with an external high-speed
counter really result in better sample resolution as long as the
TIC clock granularity is within the sawtooth correction limits with
the TIC giving the the MSB's of the sample and the sawtooth
correction providing the LSB's of the sample?

Just Wondering?
Richard