[time-nuts] Is there anything better than a crystal oscillator?

Peter Vince pvince at theiet.org
Wed Apr 23 11:40:36 EDT 2008

Over the years, better and better long-term accuracy has been
achieved with various "atomic" references, but if I understand
correctly, the actual oscillating element is still a quartz crystal,
albeit in a tightly controlled loop.  None-the-less, from discussions
in this group I believe that the short-term noise and stability is
still mainly that of the quartz crystal, and its associated
electronics.  Is there anything better than quartz?  Did I hear
something about sapphire?

	Regards,

		Peter Vince  (London, England)