[time-nuts] any experts at repairing WaveTek 288's?

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Wed Apr 30 07:24:39 EDT 2008

It is not clear from your post if you did that test while under power or
not.

This is probably a Rotary Optical Encoder. It may need 5V to power the LEDs
or light bulb that activate opto-sensors, so you probably need power applied
and use a scope to check the outputs. Also, some devices only generate short
pulses on the outputs which will never show with a multimeter (I have a
Kenwood radio that does that), you would need a scope.
If you do not get anything, it may be that the light bulb inside is dead.
This is a common problem on HP gear of that vintage.

Didier KO4BB

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
Checked by AVG.
6:36 PM