[time-nuts] any experts at repairing WaveTek 288's?

Scott Burris slburris at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 10:16:04 EDT 2008

I have done the test under power with a logic probe with no pulses
either.  Nevertheless,
this looks like a mechanical encoder, see the attached diagram from the
schematic.  Only
3 connections, ground, and two switch outputs.  The part is listed as
manufactured by WaveTek.
Any standardization in the encoder market, i.e. if I can find an encoder
that fits the circuit
board and the front panel dimensions correctly, is there a good chance I
could replace this
with an off the shelf part?

I have to say I'm shocked to hear that optical encoders were made with
light bulbs -- haven't
LEDs been viable since at least the early 70's?  Talk about planned
obsolescence...

RE the poor quality caps -- it looks like the electrolytics are all NIC
or Panasonic, not a no-name cap.
Still, I've seen my share of balky electrolytics.  I was just hoping
someone had fixed this particular problem
before and could point to a likely component to try first.

Scott