[time-nuts] any experts at repairing WaveTek 288's?

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Wed Apr 30 20:49:40 EDT 2008

You can buy ROEs from companies like Avago (used to be the optical division
of HP).
They have relatively inexpensive models with up to 128 steps/turn. In many
cases (like my HP 3586A), more steps would be a very welcome addition. I
have obtained ROEs with 1000 steps/turn from a member on anothger list, but
I have yet to mount it (different shaft size, different mounting
provisions).

Using a few gates, and if the circuit connected to the ROE lends itself to
it (fast enough), you can get 4 times the resolution from a given encoder
(essentially you get a full up or down cycle for every phase change in
output, and you get four discrete phases for every step). This requires a
small PWB or proto-board. My Kenwood transceiver uses such a scheme to
provide 1000 pulse/turn from an ROE with only 250 optical steps.

Alternately, you may be able to obtain one from another defunct instrument.
They are widely used on all sort of instrumentation made in the last 15-20
years.

Didier KO4BB

6:36 PM