[time-nuts] Designing and building an OCXO and GPSDO

WB6BNQ wb6bnq at cox.net
Sun Aug 10 23:26:48 EDT 2008

   Hello Philip,

   I agree with Bruce about the digital stuff and semiconductor
   temperature sensors, etc.  From your commentary I think you should do
   some reading before proceeding.  Here are some suggestions;

   The first is a series of Application notes from Agilent (old hp test
   div) called AN-200.  A total of 5 App notes comprise the AN-200
   series.  If you go to the following Web page and enter AN-200 at the
   top of the page in the search box, you will get a return of all the
   AN-200 booklets in PDF that can be downloaded.  The BIG one is
   AN-200-2, but it would be to your advantage to collect all of them.
   You need to paste in the entire link below if your browser doesnt see
   the whole thing when clicking on it.

   [1]http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/facet.jspx?t=80030.k.1&cc=US&lc=
   eng&sm=g&pageMode=TM

   Next is the AN-52 series, also at the above site.  The original,
   produced in the 1960's is AN-52.  Later, in the 1970's, they rewrote
   and split this App note into two titled AN-52-1 & AN-52-2.  There is
   also  AN-52-4, but that does not cover your interests at the moment.  I
   would suggest downloading ALL of them, including the original AN-52.
   An-52 does have historical perspective and a few things not included in
   the later rewrites.

   That should keep you busy for a while.  A lot of stuff on the WEB, some
   good and some not so good, just take it with a grain of salt !  NIST
   (the old NBS) has several things worth reading, however, most of that
   deals with the measurement process or is a rigorous mathematical
   analysis of one thing or another.

   In my experience, an inexpensive metal can crystal and a decent
   oscillator circuit will hang in there under 10ppm in a regular room
   with a stable ambient temperature.  HP used such a crystal in their
   60KHz receiver because it was controlled in a loop from the 60KHz, thus
   approaching the accuracy and stability of the transmitted signal.

   Second it does not take much to get parts in 10^-7 range.  Temperature
   compensated crystal oscillators easily handle that level.  With care, a
   crystal oscillator in a well designed circuit can reach parts in 10^-8
   with a bit-bang oven control.  HP did that in the late 1950's.  From
   that point the difficulty is logarithmic.

   Bill....WB6BNQ

   Philip Pemberton wrote:

     Hi folks,
        I've been following the mailing list for a few weeks using
     Pipermail (the
     web-based archive) and I figured now was a good time to jump in (so
     to speak).

        I'm working on a GPS-disciplined oscillator, based on a Trimble
     SVeeSix GPS
     receiver, and a homebrew OCXO. I've got a pair of 10MHz 50-degree-C
     oven
     crystals, and have a pretty good idea how to handle the temperature
     regulation.

        What I'm planning to do is mount the crystal on a copper plate
     with two
     power transistors, using heatsink compound between the copper and
     transistors/crystal case, and fit a temperature sensor to the top
     side of the
     crystal case. I'm planning to use a copper bracket to hold the
     sensor onto the
     crystal, and in turn mount the crystal to the copper base.

        As far as temperature regulation goes, I'm going to use a PIC
     microcontroller (one of the 8-pin chips with an A/D converter) to
     monitor the
     temperature of the crystal, and use a PID loop to control the two
     power
     transistors to maintain a temperature of 50C +/- 2 Celsius (the
     accuracy spec
     of the temperature sensor). I also have other higher-accuracy
     sensors (Dallas
     DS18S20 and DS18B20) that I can calibrate with; these are accurate
     to around
     half a degree Celsius with a resolution of 0.5C.

        The whole thing is going to be mounted in a metal box lined with
     1/2in
     thick polystyrene, with all external connections made via Molex KK
     connectors
     and standard hookup wire. If there's any advantage to doing so, I
     might use
     RG174 cable for the oscillator output, but otherwise I'll stick to
     the KKs and
     maybe twist the OUT/GND wires together.

        What I'm stuck on is the oscillator itself. The crystals are
     standard
     parallel-resonant parts, with a load capacitance of 30 picofarads.
     I've got a
     few varicap diodes (varactors) that I'm planning to use to allow
     external
     trimming of the frequency, on top of what the ~20pf "coarse" preset
     will
     allow. So on one side of the crystal I'll have a 33pf capacitor, and
     on the
     other a 20pf load capacitor, the varicap and a low-value DC-blocking
     capacitor
     for said varicap.

        The standard oscillator circuit for TTL seems to be a pair of
     74HC04
     inverters and a few passives, or a transistor version that outputs a
     sine-wave. Are there any particular types of oscillator that are
     more suitable
     for high-accuracy timing?

        What I'd like to do is use this oscillator to calibrate frequency
     counters
     and check the calibration on oscilloscopes and similar. Being able
     to lock
     function generators (a mix of custom DDS sine generators based on
     Analog
     Devices DDS chips and FPGA-based complex-signal DDSes) against the
     oscillator
     would be very useful as well. Should I be going for a 1V sine output
     and then
     convert this to TTL in the generators (which are easy to retrofit
     with adapter
     boards) or output TTL from the reference and leave it at that?

        What design parameters should I be optimising for, and how?

        Given that a standard crystal is good to roughly 100ppm, and most
     commercial OCXOs are specified to be within 1x10^-9 or better, I'm
     aiming for
     around 1ppm to start with. Is even this realistic for a homebrew
     device?

        There seems to be quite a bit of difference between just building
     a 4MHz
     oscillator to run a PIC MCU to building an accurate frequency
     reference source...

        As far as parts are concerned, I'm planning to use either a BB153
     or BB148
     varicap, a Microchip TC1047AVNBTR temperature sensor, a National
     Semiconductor
     LM4040CIM3-4.1 voltage reference for the PIC's A/D, two BD139 power
     transistors and a PIC12F683 microcontroller.

     Thanks,
     --
     Phil.
     lists at philpem.me.uk