[time-nuts] Designing and building an OCXO and GPSDO

Philip Pemberton lists at philpem.me.uk
Mon Aug 11 07:38:50 EDT 2008

Bruce Griffiths wrote:
> When using a crystal in an oven you should use a crystal specified for
> oven operation at a specific temperature.

Which is what my crystal is -- a 10MHz oven crystal, specified for a
30pF load capacitance and operation at 50 degrees Celsius.

I'm intending to use the oscillator at an ambient temperature of up to
35 Celsius (if it's warmer than that, then I'll likely have other things
to worry about!). That's on the border of what the Agilent appnotes
suggest as reasonable (15 to 20 Celsius), but still within range. In
real terms, it's probably not going to see an ambient temperature higher
than 25C. Well, not in this country anyway.

Thanks,
Phil.