[time-nuts] CE Mark

Arnold Tibus Arnold.Tibus at gmx.de
Fri Aug 15 16:38:55 EDT 2008

Poul-Henning,
you are propably fully right!

>And you caught the most important part:

>>Burden on importers
>>
>>In the agreement with the Council, the European Parliament underlines
>>that importers must place only compliant products on the Community
>>market. Before placing a product on the market importers must ensure
>>that [...]

>The important thing in this clause is "placing a product on the market".

>As long as you import things directly into EU, and never sell them
>again, there is no requirement for CE marking.

>Poul-Henning

when reading this:

[...] "For the purpose of law  all importers are treated as producers. (Ref article 3 council directive (85/374/EEC) [!!!]

This is the reason that Importers in Europe are so much worried about CE Marking on the product they import because one failure of product in the market can ruin earnings of many years.

" To safeguard their interest the importer needs CE marking from a notified body.Without CE Mark- complainant is awarded the damage and manufacturer is liable without limit. With CE Mark- the injured person shall
be required to prove the damage, the defect and the causal relationship between defect and damage "[...]

If I do import and not sell to others, I should have no problems, I am
responsible for - myself (!),
I am as importer the 'producer' (a.m.) for my own needs if I see it right.
Nobody will ask (in case of single items or very small quantities for my own
needs), but I may have problems to claim for something in case of trouble
when the product is not safe...

[...) "CONCLUSION:

It is the sole responsibility of the Manufacturer/ Seller to identify the applicable Directives[...]
http://ce-marking.blogspot.com/2008/07/your-liability-when-you-ce-mark-your.html

regards,
Arnold, DK2WT