[time-nuts] CE Mark

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Aug 15 16:51:10 EDT 2008

In message <E1KU65T-0000cU-QE at febo.com>, "Arnold Tibus" writes:
>Poul-Henning,

>[...] "For the purpose of law  all importers are treated as
>producers. (Ref article 3 council directive (85/374/EEC) [!!!]
>
>This is the reason that Importers in Europe are so much worried
>about CE Marking on the product they import because one failure of
>product in the market can ruin earnings of many years.

The point here is to get a local entity to sue, rather than some
random chinese factory which have never existed once the mail
arrives.

Rumours have it, that the CE mark went through like lightning after
a delegation from the EP/PE was taken through a Wall-Mart in the
USA, and subsequently shown what the products contained and how
they were constructed.  I have not been able to verify this rumour.

If you don't sell crap, you've got nothing to worry about.

>If I do import and not sell to others, I should have no problems, I am
>responsible for - myself (!),

Exactly, as a group europeans are not known for suing themselves :-)

But you could be held liable if your neighbor, child or spouse gets
electrocuted, although they would probably use penal code rather
than lack of CE mark in that case.

Poul-Henning