[time-nuts] another 5061A question

wje wje at quackers.net
Sun Aug 24 08:42:35 EDT 2008

I just did an oven rebuild on mine. It can be straightforward or not,
depending upon what has failed.
However, if your unit locks and stays locked, the oven is most likely at
least partially working. The VCO loop capture range is very small and it
doesn't take a great deal of temperature variation to lose lock. Check
your control voltage reading and monitor it over time. If that's varying
a lot, you may have an oven issue. Mine stays within about +/- 5 of the
setpoint.

The meter is across the series regulator for the heater. Mine starts
pegged and drops to 46 over about 30 minutes. If you aren't seeing any
variation, I'd suspect a problem in the oven loop control. You can
easily take the osc out and run it on the bench. Just apply +18v to '20'
and '24', using the case as ground. The power driver for the heater is
on the pcb at the end of the can with the connectors. Note - be really
careful to not connect power to the '+15' pin. This is not an input. It
connects to a 15 v Zener in the oven cavity, which will immediately
vaporize. Yes, I learned this the hard way.

Popular failure points seem to be the series pass transistor for the
heater, the 4.7 ohm emitter resistor, and the fusible links for the
proportional heater and the quick-heat heater. But, if you actually do
have a problem, I'd be more inclined to suspect the thermistor bridge
circuitry, which is on a pcb at the other end of the can.

Bill Ezell
They said 'Windows or better'
so I used Linux.