[time-nuts] While we're discussing backups...

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 25 23:34:11 EDT 2008

Pointless overkill?  Ask those people in New Orleans what happens when originals and backups are kept in the same city.  I know of several (ex) businesses that wisely kept their backups in different buildings there...  all were lost.

Ask my friends in Jarrell, Texas (or what's left of them after a tornado leveled the city)...  one friend kept backups at his and his parent's house...  a lifetime's work lost...  not to mention a lot of friends and family.

All legitimate disaster plans specify that backups (and contingency operating sites) are not to be kept in the same geographic area.  Failure to do so in a corporate setting would expose you to major liability claims.

Your comment has to be one of the silliest,  most shortsighted,  that I have ever seen posted anywhere...
That has to be the silliest thing I've ever seen posted to this list.  Even by
time-nut standards of pointless overkill.