[time-nuts] PM-to-AM noise conversion (was RE: New Question onHP3048A Phase Noise Test Set)

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Jan 17 16:38:01 EST 2008

Mike Feher wrote:
> Well, in my opinion, it was no more complex than what you had to offer, and
> there was never a mention of an FFT analyzer. FFT or not, it still has to
> see a detector first prior to an A/D.
Why?
For baseband signals surely the ADC replaces the detector.

>  I just do not appreciate answers that do not contribute
> anything of additional value. Unfortunately, I did not see anything in your
> post that provided that additional value. Regards - Mike

You are not the only one who reads these posts.
Often rephrasing the explanation in several different ways can make it
clearer to others.
Whilst one's own explanation may seem perfectly clear and logical to
oneself this doesn't necessarily mean that others see it in the same light.
It all depends on the readers experience and background.
Often its the unstated assumptions that make the explanation more
comprehensible to others.