[time-nuts] RFTG-m-RB

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sat Jan 19 18:41:11 EST 2008

Bruce Griffiths said the following on 01/19/2008 05:20 PM:
> James R. Gorr wrote:
>> I always assumed frequency references should be sine
>> waves.  If that is not the case, I guess I can use
>> this for a reference for other equipment?  And if a
>> square wave is just fine, could I use a clock-block to
>> divide the 15 MHz of the XO down to 10 MHz?
> If you ever have to do this, the clock block is an unnecessarily complex
> solution.

Actually, the Clock-Block is about the worst possible solution to this
problem (since I designed it, I don't have to worry about offending
anyone in saying that!).

The synthesizer used in the Clock-Block has very, very bad phase noise;
that's the price of very wide frequency coverage in a single chip.

I haven't done it to my unit yet, but from tracing the circuitry of the
RFTG, it doesn't look like it would be hard to bypass the 10 to 15 MHz
conversion circuitry and feed 10 MHz from the oscillator directly to the
primary output.  That would be a much better solution.

John