[time-nuts] Home built cesium clocks???

Predrag Dukic stijena at tapko.de
Sun Jun 29 07:04:21 EDT 2008

Poul,

That is the reason I wanted FE5440A

First of all it is a military device. CBTs are replaced before
expiring their operating life so that F18 (or any, i don't know the
details) do not loose communication in mid air.

All of FE5440a ebay tubes still have some cesium left.  Then, early
models have their primary loop without any sinthesizor: 14.59+ MHz
OCXO multiplied by 630.

The simplest possible frequency plan. Synthesizing useful output
frequency comes in the secondary loop.

Since I do have experience with FPGAs  it is an easy part for me.

Microwave PCB is a bit more difficult, but doable. I do not expect
too much trouble.

I was in London last november, but the main interest for my daughter
was Natural History Museum.....  For an 11yr old  it is understandible.

Don't know when I'll make another visit. It is terribly expensive town.

Last week I actually spent to "get something to work"

FE5440a came from ebay not working with some pieces burnt and
missing.  Also I paid it too much (2500 USD).

I saw some HP's going for 600, but since I already had 6 FE5440a tubes......

But now it is all working, and I learned a lot in the process, so I
do not consider that effort a waste.

Predrag