[time-nuts] time-nuts Frequency Divider

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Fri Apr 3 03:15:07 UTC 2009

Mike Monett wrote:
>   > Message: 8
>   > Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 12:28:31 +1300
>   > From: Bruce Griffiths <bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz>
>   > Subject: Re: [time-nuts] time-nuts Frequency Divider
>
>   > Mike
>
>   > The problem is more accurately described as:
>
>   > When the bias network dc level at the 74AC04 (or  74HC04) inverter
>   > input isn't  equal  to the switching threshold  of  the particular
>   > device then  AM  modulation on the input  signal  is  converted to
>   > phase noise as switching no longer occurs at the zero  crossing of
>   > the input signal.
>
>   The problem is adequately described in my article. I show  the AM/PM
>   conversion in "Fig 3. Threshold Switching", in
>
>   http://pstca.com/spice/74ac04/limiter.htm
>
>   > Such behaviour  is inherent when using a  Schmitt  trigger circuit
>   > and it cannot be cured with a feedback circuit that stabilises the
>   > output duty cycle.
>
>   The 74AC04  and 74HC04 are not Schmitt triggers, and  are  useful as
>   limiters as discussed here previously. The +/- 30% tolerance  on the
>   switching threshold  applies to the 74XX04 and pretty  much  all the
>   CMOS gates  and  flops  as  well. It  is  an  inherent  problem with
>   matching N and P channel mosfets.

No one said they were,
However a previous post mentioned using schmitt triggers.
I was merely pointing out that a feedback duty cycle stabiliser won't
eliminate the AM to PM conversion characteristic  inherent with a
Schmitt trigger device.
>   However, in any limiter, the duty cycle must be controlled  to avoid
>   AM/PM conversion,  not just the 74XX series. This problem  is solved
>   with the feedback method described in my article.

Which is not necessary if one is using a good OCXO with low AM output noise.
Well designed OCXOs tend to have very low AM noise.
>   One of  the surprises is the circuit is remarkably stable  even with
>   huge changes in loop gain. I describe this near the bottom.
>
>   The 74XX14  is  a  Schmitt trigger,  and  it  will  have unavoidable
>   problems with  AM/PM  conversion.  I mention  this  in  the section,
>   "Cascading 74AC04's  For More Gain", about 2/3 of the  way  down the
>   page:
>
>   http://pstca.com/spice/74ac04/limiter.htm
>
>   If the limiter has hysteresis, you can minimize AM/PM  conversion on
>   one edge, but not both.
>
>   > A well  designed  limiter  +   filter   cascade  in  front  of the
>   > comparator, Schmitt trigger or logic gate can be used  to minimise
>   > such AM to PM conversion whilst minimising the output jitter.
>
>   It doesn't  matter  what  you put in front  of  the  limiter. Adding
>   another one  in front just moves the problem  further  upstream, and
>   adds more phase noise.

Nonsense, it has been shown (during the 1990's) that if designed
correctly (with an appropriate and well defined gain and filter cutoff
frequency for each limiter stage) a cascade of limiters and low pass
filters works much better than merely cascading a series of limiter
stages with ill defined gain either with or without an input threshold
stabilisation feedback loop.
>   Unless the  switching threshold in the limiter is controlled  to set
>   the duty cycle to 50%, you will have problems with AM/PM conversion.
>   Also, it  might be desirable to add some voltage trim  to compensate
>   for harmonic distortion.
>
>   > Bruce
>
>   Mike
>   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>   Here is the response to your next post to save time:
>
>   > Mike
>
>   > Its well  worthwhile  estimating the additional jitter  due  to this
>   > effect when using such a circuit to square up the output of an OCXO:
>
>   > If the input signal characteristics are:
>
>   > Frequency 10MHz  Amplitude at the gate input: A = 1.4V  pk Threshold
>   > mismatch Vt  =  1V AM noise: Am = -120dBc/Hz Input  signal  AM noise
>   > bandwidth: BW = 1MHz (eg a low Q bandpass filter).
>
>   > Rms Output jitter due to AM noise is given by
>
>   > delta(t) ~ (1/(2*PI*f))*((Vt/A)/(1 + (Vt/A)*(Vt/A)))*(BW*1)^(Am/20))
>
>   > i.e.
>
>   > delta(t) ~ 0.5*1.6E-8 *(1E-3) sec ~ 8ps rms.
>
>   > Wideband AM  noise as high as -120dBc/Hz is somewhat higher  than is
>   > typical for a good OCXO.
>
>   > Thus in  applications such as a PPS divider this effect  is probably
>   > insignificant.
>
>   > However it may be useful to use a low Q bandpass filter to limit the
>   > integrated AM and PM noise seen at the gate input.
>
>   > Bruce
>
>   I did  not  have time to check your math.  However,  8ps  rms jitter
>   would be unacceptable in many applications.

In practice it will be much smaller than that with a good OCXO.
When using a  divider to compare the frequency of an OCXO with the PPS
output of a GPS timing receiver a jitter of 8ps is insignificant.
If one uses a typical CPLD or FPGA to implement a divider without any
external retiming flipflops the typical output jitter is much larger
than 8ps.
A CPLD or FPGA with LVDS outputs and inputs may have somewhat lower jitter.
>   A low  Q bandpass filter has been discussed here often.  It  may not
>   help the  jitter  until the bandwidth is quite narrow,  and  it will
>   cause other problems with drift due to aging and tempco.

The effectiveness of the filter depends on the AM  (and PM )noise
spectrum, if this is very broad then even a low Q bandpass filter will help.
With a good OCXO the broadband AM (and PM) noise is low and filtering
isnt usually required.