[time-nuts] FreeBSD 7 ntp server

Neon John jgd at johngsbbq.com
Thu Jan 1 02:42:08 UTC 2009

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 17:57:33 -0700 (MST), "M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com>
wrote:

>In message: <b3bd5fcb0812311604q2c8f7129v9b1185457c8a93d9 at mail.gmail.com>
>            "Robert Darlington" <rdarlington at gmail.com> writes:
>: Okay, not very fun.  I was hoping to see ...58,59,60,00.  Instead my
>: system ticked :59 twice.    Here's the output of my not so very
>: scientific logs (up arrow, enter, over and over):
>
>That's the correct output.  It isn't possible to tick 60 with a POSIX
>time_t, so second 59 is replayed so that we don't cross a day
>boundary.
>
>Warner

I wonder how application software handled that.  Say, a transaction processing
machine handling a few thousand transactions a second where the time stamp
matters.  What did the high res timer do?

I'm thinking about, for example, stock trading where the first bid wins.
Sub-second resolution is needed there, I think.

I wonder if this was a mini-Y2K and folks haven't realized it yet?

John
--
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com