[time-nuts] FreeBSD 7 ntp server

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Jan 1 04:22:53 UTC 2009

In message: <f6bol4dpdl7b5oh32h3mo18pfki549hboh at 4ax.com>
            Neon John <jgd at johngsbbq.com> writes:
: On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 17:57:33 -0700 (MST), "M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com>
: wrote:
:
: >In message: <b3bd5fcb0812311604q2c8f7129v9b1185457c8a93d9 at mail.gmail.com>
: >            "Robert Darlington" <rdarlington at gmail.com> writes:
: >: Okay, not very fun.  I was hoping to see ...58,59,60,00.  Instead my
: >: system ticked :59 twice.    Here's the output of my not so very
: >: scientific logs (up arrow, enter, over and over):
: >
: >That's the correct output.  It isn't possible to tick 60 with a POSIX
: >time_t, so second 59 is replayed so that we don't cross a day
: >boundary.
: >
: >Warner
: >
:
: I wonder how application software handled that.  Say, a transaction processing
: machine handling a few thousand transactions a second where the time stamp
: matters.  What did the high res timer do?

Same thing it normally does...

: I'm thinking about, for example, stock trading where the first bid wins.
: Sub-second resolution is needed there, I think.

That's one of many reasons why I think that leap seconds are
fundamentally incompatible with POSIX.

: I wonder if this was a mini-Y2K and folks haven't realized it yet?

:)

Warner

: John
: --
: John De Armond
: See my website for my current email address
: http://www.neon-john.com
: http://www.johndearmond.com <-- best little blog on the net!
: Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
: Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
:
: