[time-nuts] FE-5680A thermal management

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 8 21:16:51 UTC 2009

Almost all rubidium standards DO specify the use of some form of a heat sink.  For the FRK and M100 units this can be a heat sink with around 1" fins or just bolted to a metal plate or chassis.

The military freq standard that had M100's in them had the unit mounted to a 5x5x.2" aluminum plate that was in turn bolted to the chassis.   My Efratom PTB-100 time bases for the Tektronix  TM500 mainframes have a large heat sink mounted to a FRK style oscillator.

LPROs are supposed to be mounted to a metal chassis (they usually come with a thermal pad attached to them).  I have seen them lose lock in free air.  I saw one mounted in a piece of cell phone equipment.  It was bolted to a large heat sink that formed most of the front of the enclosure.

I have also seen FE-5680A's in their native habitat (again,  cell phone equipment).  They were mounted to a thick (1/8"?) PCB around 6x16".  The side of the PCB that the 5680 was bolted to had a solid ground plane.  The 5650A's had one side bolted to a metal chassis.