[time-nuts] GPSDO 10 MHz Distribution Amp

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Sun Jun 21 16:18:51 UTC 2009

In the next couple weeks, I plan on distributing the output of my GPSDO to a
pair of Icom transceivers.  I've thought about using a DA like the TAPR
TADD-1, but it seems that I can simply split the output of the +13 dBm GPSDO
with a Z=50, 3dB equal power divider, that will yield an output of ~ +9.5
dBm to each transceiver.

I can't foresee any port isolation issues that would make necessitate the
use of the DA for this application and the 3 dB "hit" in level to each
transceiver still seems reasonable for proper transceiver operation.  Am I
not considering something important?  Also, I do not want to add any noise
with such a distribution that would in any way destroy the excellent phase
noise characteristics of my GPSDO.  Thoughts?

Paul, W9AC