[time-nuts] Introduction of Z38XX

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Tue Jun 23 09:28:35 UTC 2009

Gents,

perhaps you have read that since a few days I am the owner of a Z3805 bought
on eBAy from fluke.I.

The other day a friend of mine visited me and brought his GPSCON with him to
test it on my Z3805. As fluke.I had pointed out, the GPSCON would work with
the Z3805 but it would not work really satisfying. The reason is that the
Z3801 has a 6 channel receiver and the Z3816 has a 8 channel receiver, so
GPSCON is simply not prepared to read more than 8 sat data sets from the
Z3805's status screen (which has a 12 channel receiver). In addition,
because the Z3805's status screen uses more lines for the display of the
additional sat data sets GPSCON will miss the last three lines of the
z3805's status screen.

This in conjunction with some other things encouraged me me to write a z3805
tool of my own named Z38XX. Of course it will handle z3801s and z3816s as
well. It is far from being complete but you can get a good impression of it
by downloading it from the usual place

http://www.ulrich-bangert.de/html/downloads.html

Z38XX talks to the Z3801/5/16 with a exact 10 s time base which means the
PPS TI delivered can be used for the computation of Allan deviation (and
other measures) of the internal phase comparator with a Tau0 = 10 s (which
is done internally in Z38XX similar as in Lady Heather).

The sat's horizont line in the Azimuth / Elevation chart will look strange
in the first hours after program start. Give it some days until it looks as
attched or even better.

Have fun

Ulrich Bangert
www.ulrich-bangert.de