[time-nuts] TNC connectors

Stan W1LE stanw1le at verizon.net
Tue Jun 23 15:01:40 UTC 2009

Hello Dave,

I looked for that antenna but could not find it, to understand how to
mate to it.

Consider using to a coaxial adapter at the antenna, TNC male to BNC female.
Then put a BNC male connector on whatever coax you will be using.

 In an ideal world, a 75 ohm TNC will   NOT   mate a 50 ohm TNC.
May feel like it is screwed in properly but the diameter of the center
pin is smaller for the 75 ohm version.
So, if you jam in a larger 50 ohm male center pin into a smaller 75 ohm
female center pin, you will destroy it.

Having said that, most connectors you find will be 50 ohm, just be
watchful for the odd ball.

I got my chromed pipe for the GPS antenna from a friend.
Actual O.D. is 1.007" and the male thread looks to be a straight thread.

Check the specs on the Panasonic antenna for the mating thread required.

Check out the Home Depot's plumbing section for either galvi pipe or
white PVC pipe.
The electrical section will have a grey PVC pipe that may be more
suitable and UV proof.

Stan, W1LE   Cape Cod     FN41sr