[time-nuts] state of the art devide by ten

EWKehren at aol.com EWKehren at aol.com
Mon Mar 30 11:46:18 UTC 2009

In my opinion the best way is still to use two 74xx90 connected divide by
five and divide by two. That gives a symmetrical output. That is why you can not
 use a 390. The A output should subsequently be applied to a D or JK flip
flop  with the clock input connected to the 10 MHz. The D or JK F/F should be as
fast  as what is presently still available.
Bert Kehren Miami  WB5MZJ

In a message dated 3/30/2009 1:10:57 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
hmurray at megapathdsl.net writes:

>  What would be a "through the hole" type of IC that would have less
>  jitter than a 74xx90. I CAN do surface mount if I have to.

In general,  I think faster logic families have lower jitter.   I'm not sure
could prove that or find a good paper.  There may be  counter-examples.

If you want low jittter, I think the right approach  is to divide by X/2 and
then do the final divide by 2 in a separate  chip.  There are several logic
families that have only one gate or  one FF in a package.  They are usually
SMT, typically SP-23 type  packages with fairly big pins so hand soldering
with old-fart eyes is not  that hard.

Prop time with multiple outputs in a package depends on how  many outputs are
switching.  In the case of a divide by 10, the  pattern is stable.  If you
look at the divide by 2 output pin, I'd  expect more jitter since sometimes
lower order bits are switching and  sometimes they are not.

Another approach is to use a CPLD.   Clock the main divide by 10 or 100 on
the
wrong edge, and then buffer the  final output on the right edge.  Some CPLDs
are targeted at low  power.  It'd expect them to have more jitter than the
ones targeted  at high-speed.  There may not be much choice.

--
These  are my opinions, not necessarily my employer's.  I hate  spam.