[time-nuts] Austron 2100

Claude Houde va2hdd at aei.ca
Sat May 30 00:44:57 UTC 2009

Hello !

Here is a follow up on my previous thread on the Austron 2100F.

After getting the unit I found out that the power supply is dead.

I was able to start up the receiver with my lab power supply.

It seems to work, but the keyboard bounces terribly, randomly filling
the display with the last key pressed.

An older thread on that subject pinpoints the 1uF bypass on the display
keyboard as the culprit, I will change all the electrolytics and
tantalums and will keep you informed if I see an improvement in
performance afterwards

I will again need your help to finish the repair job:

    * I bought Brook Clark's manual on CD, but in all flavours of the
      2100 the power supply is shown as a black box, without any
      details.  Mine has an SG3524 PWM controller driving a T03
      transistor, with a Lambda over voltage protection and a small
      DC-AC converter for the EL back light. Is there any known
      schematic of that beast ? I can of course reverse engineer it
      (after all it is an important part of the fun, isn't it ?) but I
      would rather avoid the extra work if I can.
    * If someone is using a 2100 in the north east part of the continent
      , like New-England, Quebec, etc., what type of antenna should I use ?
    * On my receiver both sides of the case were damaged, on the right
      side the handle is broken, and the left one it is bent inward, so
      much that I'm afraid of breaking it if I try to straighten it. I
      would be interested in buying either a junker receiver that has a
      nice case or just the side panels.
    * What is the general feeling about the disappearance of LORAN-C ? I
      read some documents, seem that the US coast guard wants to drop
      the service.

Thanks to all !

Claude