[time-nuts] Austron 2100

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Sat May 30 01:07:31 UTC 2009

Hi Claude,

As the author of the article on key bounce, I must say that the
1uf caps are not bypass, but the actual timing capacitors that
determine how long the keypad chip waits before declaring that
the key has stopped bouncing.  They are a very high quality cap,
and won't be bad.  The problem is the keypad has gotten noisy and
it takes longer to settle than it did when it was new, hence the
change in the keybounce time constant.

I don't think you will need to replace the capacitors in the
2100F, they are high quality wet tantalums.  Check them, but
you will probably not find any that are bad.

Do not mess around with the small stack of circuit cards that
is off by itself.  Those capacitors are critical!

The 2100F is very sensitive.  It is designed to work with a loop
antenna that is a transformer isolated 3 foot square loop made
from electrical conduit boxes, and aluminum tubing... copper would
do fine, as would steel.  There is one turn of 5 conductor antenna
rotor cable inside of the loop.

-Chuck Harris