[time-nuts] Splitting GPS antenna output

Dan Rae danrae at verizon.net
Wed Sep 2 14:58:11 UTC 2009

Keep an eye open at swap meets etc., or even eBay, for something like an
MCL ZAPD-2,

http://www.minicircuits.com/pdfs/ZAPD-2+.pdf

which is a 1 to 2 GHz splitter.  It has DC continuity from 1 and 2 to
the common.  I put a 100 pF blocking cap in one of the ports, the other
feeds DC to the antenna.  An R and choke could be fitted if the receiver
connected to the isolated port complains.

I used one of these for years when I only had two gps units; now a lucky
find of one of the 8 way -hp- splitters serves me well, and still has
one or two empty ports...   -hp- did make a four way one but not I
think, a two way.

Incidentally these things and similar are very useful just as boxes with
SMA sockets, for the usual $1 or so they fetch at swap meets, they are
well worth grabbing.

Dan