[time-nuts] More Z3801/Tbolt comparisons

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Fri Sep 4 11:36:35 UTC 2009

phill.r1 at btinternet.com writes:

Racal  19## Counters are something else - - I got rid of
mine some years back,  not only the ongoing problems with the key-pad, but
don't think they put  much cost into the oven osc. Perhaps you should
consider moving on to an  HP or other quality counter, "you deserve it"

--------------
Even the best counters can sometimes suffer from poor internal  oscillators.

The basic onboard oscillator in the HP53132A for example has no practical
use whatsoever, other than to demonstrate that the counter is  functional,
but I suspect most, if not all, list members will  generally be operating
counters with external references anyway

Whilst I wouldn't even consider swapping my 53132A for a 199x I  must be a
glutton for punishment as I've just bought another  1991 after also selling
my previous one some time ago.

Aside from the reported key pad problems, which haven't affected me so far,
 and the lesser resolution, it's a good solid workhorse and, something not
to be  sneezed at, this one in very good condition cost me at least 80% less
 than I'd expect to pay for a similar condition 53132A:-)

Earlier 19xx counters also strike me as being underrated these days.
Although it's lacking in resolution for most of my current needs I've still
 got a 1905 I bought new in the late 70s/early 80s and that has served  me
very well as a general purpose counter.
I'd suggest that too as an excellent workhorse and more than adequate for
such things as transmitter or receiver adjustment etc and, at the  give-away
prices the 1904 and 1905 often seem to fetch on Ebay, they can be  quite a
bargain.

regards

Nigel
GM8PZR