[time-nuts] I like Nixie tubes!!

Michael Baker mpb45 at clanbaker.org
Sat Jan 9 03:11:45 UTC 2010

Hello, Time-Nuts--

Paul Swed said:

For whatever reason I have resurrected a 1967
HP 5245L counter. Indeed I have many newer units.
But there is something about that nixie tube glow.

Indeed.  I have an old HP-5245L counter that I keep
running on the shelf over my bench just because the
Nixie tubes rippling through their count sequence
is so... well, so cool and appealing.

I also have an old HP selective level meter that tunes
up to around 20 MHz or so that has a Nixie tube
display and I often turn it on just for the effect
that the Nixie tube display has.

If all the digits are cleanly and evenly lit and there
is no extraneous glow visible in the tube to damage the
contrast of the digits, Nixie displays really appeal
to me!

Mike Baker
WA4HFR
Gainesville (Micanopy) FL  USA