[time-nuts] Non electrical time-nuttery

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Jan 10 05:19:28 UTC 2010

When I was in high school (back in the 70s), I tried to set up a pendulum in
the gym (Foucault style, big bob, piano wire, burn string to start) and an
electronic timer to measure the change in period over 12 hours from the
moon's gravitational pull.  Didn't succeed, for a variety of reasons, but it
was an intriguing project.  For instance, at that time I didn't know that
the reference oscillator in the counter I was using probably wasn't as
stable over time as my pendulum was.