[time-nuts] Handy iPhone app

Armand Sperduti armands at fingerrock.com
Mon Jul 19 03:42:22 UTC 2010

I'm on the digest, so excuse me if this is redundant.
I just checked my AT&T HTC Pure (a Windows Mobile phone). It's time matches
my Trimble to within a second.
Armand KI7J
Southern AZ USA

------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 23:09:15 -0700
From: Rex <rexa at sonic.net>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Handy iPhone app
To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
	<time-nuts at febo.com>

Thomas A. Frank wrote:

> On Jul 16, 2010, at 4:08 AM, Peter Monta wrote:
>
>> Rex <rexa at sonic.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I just eyeballed the minute turn-over but it was clearly within
>>> about a second.
>>
>> Well, apparently it is a phone issue and not a cell-tower issue.
>> Searching the support forums yields the following trick:  disable
>> the automatic time setting, set it manually to a grossly wrong
>> time, then put it back to the automatic setting, causing it to
>> reacquire the time.  Now my phone is within 3 seconds of NTP.
>
> Didn't fix the problem here in RI.
>
> Same 15 second error after the fact...
>
> Oh well.  I don't really use it as a clock anyway...
>
> Tom Frank, KA2CDK

Curious if you have any comparison you can make with a non-Apple phone?

Seems to me that the problem points there, but we need some non-iPhone
comparisons in the far (timing-wise) locales to see if there is a clear
pattern.

Also, I don't have an iPhone. Is there any other way than this Emerald
thing to measure the clock?

End of time-nuts Digest, Vol 72, Issue 60