[time-nuts] Function of cap to GND in isolation transformer circuit

Joop lous at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 21 11:46:02 UTC 2010

Hi,

I noticed in several circuits that the 10MHz isolation transformer in
input and output circuits have a 6.8nF or 10nF capacitor to GND. How
necessary is this for suppression of unwanted signals? Is the
transformer itself not sufficient? I would expect common mode issues to
be a bit worse with the cap in place.

The circuit I refer to can be seen here:
http://www.uploadarchief.net/files/download/cap2gnd.png

The first one is an output as described in the Efratom FRK manual, the
second one the input in the TADD-2 manual.

Cheers,

Joop