[time-nuts] GPSDO - was - oscillator choice question

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Mon May 17 00:40:09 UTC 2010

Hi

The gotcha is that the Z38xx and TBolt do a pretty good job.

To do as well:

1) Build a counter with a < 1 ns resolution to compare the pps ticks. You want the resolution to be below the floor of a good timing receiver.
2) Set up a roughly 20 bit D/A to drive the EFC. More bits are always better. You can get away with 16 bits and tweaking fairly often.  The objective is a LSB in the parts in 10^-13.
3) Put a good reference on the D/A. Voltage tuning on the EFC makes this tough to get around.
4) Set up a PIC or micro of your choice (Coldfire works quite well). You can get a *lot* of processor for $5 these days.
5) Probably lay out a pcb to put everything on.

Hook that all up to a good modern high sensitivity 12 channel timing grade GPS and start tuning your loop. You will need a good local reference to really get the tuning right.

This is in addition to the usual divide to 1 pps on the 10811, buffering of outputs, power supplies and regulation, and packaging.

Software wise, most people seem to wind up with some sort of software PID, possibly with coefficients that  change as the unit stabilizes (Z38xx family) or not (TBolt ?).

Lots of work to get to "as good as". Of course you will be as good as the combined performance of the two, which is indeed better than either one by it's self.

Bob