[time-nuts] 60 KHz Receiver

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 5 03:39:39 UTC 2010

Heathkid wrote:
> Doesn't someone on here with a Ham license have a Cs standard and
> "could" put up a 1pps signal?  Simply transmit your callsign within the
> 1pps (there has to be a way) and we have a non-Govt. time standard "if
> needed".  A simple 1pps PSK-31 (or other digital mode) signal would
> probably work and be completely legal.  Let's do this on our own and not
> rely on Govt. or GPS... Several throughout the world acting together
> (I'm not a programmer so someone could step up and figure out the
> logistics for a receiver) and we would have an alternative to GPS
> (IF/when it stops working).

a) broadcasts aren't legal for US hams
b) ionospheric uncertainty in the skywave path makes this no better than WWV
c) Whats wrong with GPS and/or WWV and/or CHU or whatever?
d) A cheap Rb would give you a local reference that is much better than
what you could do with receiving something via skywave.

If you want something that isn't run by governments,and is a technical
challenge, how about pulsars?   I'd guess (not having looked into it at
all) that is would be cheaper to set up a station to receive pulsars
than to run a Cs standard.

While I fully sympathize with the "stand alone" approach (that's one of
the appeals of HF comms in general.. you aren't depending on anyone
else's infrastructure), I don't know that setting up a time standards
station fits in with that..