[time-nuts] OT: Rustrak Strip Chart Recorder

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 21:25:46 UTC 2011

Hi Antonio,
The wheel that flicks the chopper bar seems to be a press fit.
The shaft is knurled (ridges have been formed) and the brass insert
in the wheel is pressed over the knurled shaft.
As the other end of the shaft protrudes from the gearbox it is simple to
press the wheel on, but very difficult to remove as there is nothing
to pull on.

How many 50Hz motors do you need?

I converted several Rustraks to print-on-demand using a quartz clock
to reduce the motor power from 3W down to less than a milliwatt so they
could operate for a year on 4 D cells in remote places.

Since then I have been using off the shelf data loggers instead of
the Rustraks.

cheers, Neville Michie