[time-nuts] Question regarding 1PPS timing accuracy and GPSDO

Tijd Dingen tijddingen at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 11 16:14:52 UTC 2011

Suppose I want to make a GPSDO using the 1PPS output of generic GPS device
XYZ, what kind of accuracy should I be looking for?

I understand the concept of "smaller error is better", but I lack the
practical experience and would like to get a handle on the actual numbers.

When a GPS devide XYZ datasheet quotes a "timing accuracy" on the 1PPS
output of lets say 1 us RMS, would it be useful? I.e would /you/ consider
using it? What if it was 100 ns RMS on the 1pps? Or 10 ns RMS? Or ... At
roughly what number would you consider the 1pps as a candidate for your
GPSDO?

regards,
Fred